A full day Gathering Event playing with flowers, plants, fabrics & creativity, led by Ellie Beck, assisted by Leah Deighton.
* 2 creative workshops in one day (4hrs natural dye + 2hrs weaving)
* take home pieces from the day
* morning & afternoon tea sweet treats
* new skills & ways to tap into your own creative-self
* connections & conversations
* beautiful space to discover & share
* gift bag
* small intimate class size (max 14 students)
NATURAL DYE - a 4hr workshop learning the how-tos of using plants, flowers and garden gatherings to create beautiful patterns and divine colours on fabric and silk threads. We will talk about mordants, fabrics to use, different dye techniques and discover the magic of the dye pot.
Working with silk, cotton and linen fabrics and silk yarns we will create different colours using easily sourced dye ingredients. Simple Shibori and fabric-folding techniques will be part of the play as well. You'll go home with many dye samples to remind you of the day, and encourage you to continue your own dye-pot experiments.
WEARABLE WEAVINGS - a 2hr workshop using the dyed materials from the morning session, as well as some we have prepared already, combined with other fabrics (vintage Japanese kimonos and metallic threads especially). Using our specially designed wooden weaving loom, we will make necklaces or small scale wall hangings that show off the beautiful unique colours of naturally dyed materials.
Included in the workshop -
* All materials (silk, cotton, linen and silk thread) for the dye pot to make sample sizes usable for small scale weaving, as well as one larger piece of silk.
* A handcrafted hardwood weaving loom
* Brass and silver findings to make your necklace or wall hanging
* Info sheet on natural dyeing
* Delightful morning & afternoon tea prepared by Zoe Yule
WHEN :: Sunday 7th Sept. 9.30am - 4.30pm
WHERE :: Showroom 135 Latrobe Tce, Paddington, Brisbane
Please bring - any fabrics (natural materials only) you would like to add to the dye pot, an apron or old clothes, 3-5 glass (jam) jars with lids, and special fabrics you'd like to weave into your necklace.
** Please note that lunch is not supplied for this workshop, but we have allocated an hour for you to either get something from a nearby cafe or bring your own lunch to enjoy on the verandah.
** Save 10% by booking two tickets - you and a friend can share a beautiful day creating together.